Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Please Accept Our Sincerest Apologies



I don't know if the French is particularly accurate here (I was relying on the Internet for help with translation), but essentially this letter is just to make sure our landlady doesn't hate us. In a nutshell this says "Sorry our kids are noisy American brats," but in pretty talk, and with the proper accent marks.

The letter was necessitated by tonight's all out, no holds barred, our progeny are animals rager of a tantrum. Vivi cried for a full hour. Then she tried to scratch my face off, bit my shoulder, cried for another fifteen minutes, and finally fell asleep only when Nathan and I both stood in the dark with her singing "Jesus Loves Me" as a round. (Not exactly, but almost.) This is becoming her Hyeres habit. She's a good sleeper at home (really), but I'm not sure I could convince anyone here of that.

My favorite part of this letter's translation is the phrase that means "the baby's noise": "le bruit du bebe." Yep. She's a little brute. (Aren't all toddlers? Apparently the French already understand this.)


No comments:

Post a Comment